PNW Native Plant & Wildlife Organizations
Here are a few helpful organizations for finding out more about native plants (and eventually wildlife). Please mail me any additions or corrections.
- Abundant Life Seed Foundation
- 1029 Lawrence St.
- Port Townsend, WA 98368 USA
- Phone: 360-385-5660 Fax: 360-385-7455
- Acquires, preserves, and propagates plants and seeds.
- Alpine Garden Club of British Columbia
- Joy Curran
- Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G0 Canada
- Newsletter, Meetings, Plant Sales, Seed/Plant Exchange, Field Trips. Dues: $Can 20.00
- Annual seed list, garden tours
- Butterfly Gardener's Association
- 1021 N. Main St.
- Allentown, 18104 USA
- Demonstration Garden. Dues: $US 20.00
- Non-profit organization to promote butterfly gardens across the country.
- Canadian Wildflower Society
- Unit 12A, Box 228
- 4981 Highway #7, East
- Markham, ON L3R 1N1 Canada
- Seed/Plant Exchange, Newsletter. Dues: $Can 30.00
- National Wildflower Research Center
- 4201 La Crosse Boulevard
- Austin, TX 78739 USA
- Phone: 512-292-4100
- Lady Bird Johnson's organization. Demonstration wildflower meadows.
- Native Plant Society of Oregon
- Jan Dobak
- 2584 NW Savier St.
- Portland, OR 97210-2412 USA
- Phone: 503-248-9242
- Newsletter, Field Trips, Meetings. Dues: $US 12.00
- Chapters in Pendleton, Corvallis, Eugene, Bend, White Salmon, Cannon Beach and Seaside, Portland, Ashland, Coos Bay, Roseburg, Salem, La Grande.
Student $8, Regular $12, Family $18, Sustaining $30, Patron $100, Life Membership $500
- Naturescape BC
- Suite #300-1005 Broad Street
- Victoria, BC V8W 2A1 Canada
- Phone: (800) 387-9853 Fax: (604) 356-0985
- funded by Wildlife Habitat Canada; Environment Canada,
the Canadian Wildlife Service; BC Ministry of Environment, Land and Parks, and; the Habitat Conservation Fund)
- North American Rock Garden Society
- Fred Graf, NW Chapter, 206-282-5512
- P.O Box 67
- Millwood, NY 10546 USA
- Newsletter, Seed/Plant Exchange, Field Trips, Meetings, Plant Sales. Dues: $US 25.00
- Additional $10 for local chapter newsletter and activities. Meet at Center for Urban Horticulture, University of Washington, Seattle WA
- North American Sea Plant Society
- POB 262
- Feeding Hills, MA 01030-0262 USA
- North American Sea Plant Society is a national organization of Coastal
gardeners and those interested in coastal flora and its various uses.
- North American Truffling Society
- PO Box 296
- Corvallis, OR 97339 USA
- Phone: 503-451-5987 or 503-752-2243
- Nursery Horticulturist
- B.C. Ministry of Agriculture
- Box 1172, Station A
- Surrey, BC V3S 4P9 Canada
- Provincial office of the Cooperative Extension Service
- Oregon Mycological Society
- Herman & Gertrude Opgenorth
- 13716 SE Oatfield Rd.
- Milwaukie, OR 97222 USA
- Meetings, Field Trips. Dues: $US 18.00
- Puget Sound Mycological Society
- Seattle, WA USA
- Phone: 206-522-6031
- The Native Plant Conservation Initiative
- 1849 C St. NW, Rm 3223
- Washington, DC 20240 USA
- The NPCI is a group of nine federal government member agencies and
over 60 non-federal cooperators working toward the conservation of
native plants. NPCI members and cooperators work collectively to solve
the problems of native plant extinction and native habitat restoration,
ensuring the preservation of our ecosystem. The NPCI embodies the axiom
"think globally, act locally." Federal plant conservation resources are
pooled at the national level to provide a focused, strategic approach to
plant conservation at the local level on public and private lands,
eliminating duplication of effort and increasing the effectiveness of
- Urban Wildlife Resources
- 5130 West Running Brook Rd.
- Columbia, MD 21044 USA
- Phone: 410-997-7161 Fax: 410-997-6849
- "Urban Wildlife Resources was founded in 1995 to serve as an information source and clearinghouse for urban wildlife-related matters. To help meet this goal, it publishes THE URBAN OPEN SPACE MANAGER, a quarterly newsletter for land managers, planners, landscape architects, biologists, and others interested in wildlife and nature conservation in the metropolitan environment. The newsletter presents in readable form substantive articles involving research, planning, design, education and management. Urban Wildlife Resources also has available many of the publications of the former National Institute for Urban Wildlife, which closed in 1995. Included are WILDLIFE RESERVES AND CORRIDORS IN THE URBAN ENVIRONMENT, INTEGRATING MAN AND NATURE IN THE METROPOLITAN ENVIRONMENT, and WILDLIFE CONSERVATION IN METROPOLITAN ENVIRONMENTS. "
- Washington Native Plant Society
- Catherine E. Hovanic
- P.O. Box 28690
- Seattle, WA 98118-8690 USA
- Newsletter, Field Trips, Workshops, Membership Directory, Meetings. Dues: $US 20.00
- Family memberships $30. E-mail discussion list for members. Local chapters in Central Puget Sound (Seattle), Central Washington (Yakima/TriCities), Koma Kulshan (Bellingham), NE Washington (Spokane), Okanogan, Olympic Peninsula, Palouse (Pullman), Salal (Skagit County), South Sound (Tacoma), Suksdorfia (Vancouver WA), <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2745/">Wenatchee Valley</A>, At Large.
- WSU Extension Horticulturist
- Western Washington Research and Extension Center
- Puyallup, WA 98371 USA
- State office of the Cooperative Extension Service
- Xerces Society
- 10 SW Ash St.
- Portland, OR 97204 USA
- Dedicated to the preservation of butterflies