Re: caterpillar

Ah, I just realized the link I sent didn't even have a picture. I
figured there is only one bird poop caterpillar but I guess not. Here is
the first one I suggested (Giant Swallowtail):
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpecies_LI.asp?imageID=22479

But apparently the Western Tiger Swallowtail also has a bird poop
caterpillar and it feeds on Alder:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/4148/pageeleven.html
"The caterpillar has two distinct forms at different stages. While the
young caterpillar is brown and white, resembling bird droppings (an
ingenious protection against being eaten by birds!) - the mature
caterpillar, growing to about 2 inches, is green with a swollen front
end, large eyespots on the head, and a black and white band between the
3rd and 4th segments. Using silk, the caterpillar curls leaves over its
body and rests and feeds under a protective canopy."

I couldn't find any caterpillar pictures for this species.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net