Re: Ants and aphids

I have had two different species farm aphids in my garden- one was the
common (and mostly unwanted) carpenter ant. The other was a small species,
reddish abdomen and black everywhere else, workers generally about 5-7 mm
long, likes burrowing in old wood, beloved of flickers in the neighborhood.
I've also seen in the woods harvester thatch ants that make the big thatch
piles farming ants in honeysuckle vines. I know the carpenters were very
good at returning aphids to the red-flowering currants I was trying to keep
them off of. The others I simply observed, so I don't know if they were
moving aphids around or just taking advantage of colonies that showed up in
their territory.

Brett Johnson
Green Man Gardens
bnbjohns@comcast.net