Re: Ants and aphids

Argentine ants are the ones I know of that do aphid and scale farming
around here. They are really aggressive little buggers and are known to
have caused the extinction of a species of butterfly whose larvae were
previously tended by native ants but the Argentine guys kill all the
native ants. The problem with them is that there was a small genetic
stock that took root here so it's just one big megacolony. In Argentina
they fight among their own neighboring colonies and keep balanced that
way but here they just wipe everything else out.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net