Ants and aphids

Greetings. I have a question or two about ants and aphids. I know that ants
farm aphids and that we have several plants where these nifty little
agriculturists ply their trade. My question is this. Are their particular
species of ants in this area that are known to farm aphids and are their
specific species of aphids known to be farmed? Or is it just a random event?

Any thoughts or suggestions of places to do more research would be splendid.
Cheers,
David
--
David B. Williams                email: wingate@seanet.com