Re: lorquins and [pipevine] swallowtails

Our 8-year old Pipevines have finally attracted an egg-laying Pipevine
Swallowtail!

She didn't stop fluttering her wings for the whole time I watched. She
circled around landing on a particular few branches feeling them with
her legs (as best I could tell) and looping around again to re-check &
select the final branch then layed 14 orange eggs (shown in the picture)

The nearest population I know of is a few miles away over
the hill from here. I did put two fat caterpillars in two years ago that
a friend found in Sonoma but I doubt they both survived, & produced both
male & female.This must have been someone drifting in on the winds from
over the hill. With any luck our Pipevines will be devastated this
summer. They sprout back healthier than even when cut back.

Pictures:
http://www.edgehill.net/2003-06-26-pipevine-swallowtail-P1010093_.jpg
http://www.edgehill.net/2001-05-11-pipevine (larvae)
http://www.edgehill.net/2003-02-15-pipevine  (plant)