lorquins and swallowtails

Greetings. With the sun out, the butterflies in the yard are going
nuts. At least two Lorquin's Admirals are cruising around. It is always
fun to watch the males fly up at any intruder, particularly western
tiger swallowtails, which seem to be all over the place. I am
particularly partial to Lorquin's because I found three larvae in our
yard this spring. They were eating our ocean spray. The larvae are
rather intriguing; they look like bird poop with two black spikes
protruding up from one end. When at rest they raise their rumps (if
that is what you call the rear end of a caterpillar) in hopes of
fooling would be predators. Two of the larvae eventually morphed into
chrysalids, which I brought inside. The third may have been eaten or it
went on a walkabout and I never located its chrysalis. After 12 and 14
days, respectively, a butterfly appeared from each chrysalis. I felt
like a proud parent and like to think that the Lorquins in our yard may
have been born here.

Wishing everyone happy bugging experiences.
Cheers,
David Williams
Seattle