Another newbie with unidentified insect

Hi all! I'm enjoying this list.

I was showing my 15-month-old granddaughter sowbugs (potato bugs?) today
and how they roll into a ball, which she found fascinating, of course. We
found a group of them on the side of a raised beds.

But I think there was a second insect in the group. When touched with a
blade of grass, it did not roll into a ball, but rolled over and showed a
whitish belly. It looked quite a bit like a sow/potato bug, but it wasn't
as glossy and the ridges on its exoskeleton were not as pronounced.

Was it the same insect in a different stage of development or a different
insect?

Thanks for your responses,
Suzanne G. in Bremerton, WA