Finding butterflies and other insects

On my entomology trip through Oregon last summer I discovered that one of
the best places to find butterflies, bees and many other kinds of insects
was to stop at roadside overlooks and look around for the obvious place
someone would duck out of sight to pee. These locations were always
swarming with insects who come for the minerals once the water part
evaporates away. Just off McKenzie Pass I counted 175 bees, 56 butterflies,
114 other kinds of bugs in a 4 meter "pee zone" behind some rocks.

Rob Sandelin
South Snohomish County at the headwaters of Ricci Creek
Sky Valley Environments  <http://www.nonprofitpages.com/nica/SVE.htm>
Field skills training for student naturalists
Floriferous@msn.com