Re: Butterflies

>And I was amazed to see the following
>
>Adult food: Flower nectar from plants including California buckeye,
>yerba santa, and privet; bird droppings; and dung.
>                                             ^^^^
>As I encountered this little guy/girl on dog poop that I was cleaning
>up.

I think it's Robert Pyle who has recommended a dish with sand,
some clay mud and kitty droppings, kept damp, as a butterfly
attractant!  Nectar can't provide the minerals they need.  (My
neighbors think I'm strange already; it's a good thing they
don't know everything, though I haven't quite done this yet :-))
--
Allyn Weaks    allyn@tardigrade.net
Seattle, USDA zone 7-8