butterflies and herbicides

I'm planting a small butterfly garden at a public elementary school in
Vancouver WA along a fenceline which is sprayed occasionally.  We're
planning on putting up signs that mark off an area surrounding the
garden which is not to be sprayed.  My question is, how far away from
the edge of the garden should the signs be?  20 ft? 50 ft?  How far can
herbicide travel in enough quantity to effect plants, butterflies, and
caterpillars?  Unfortunately, I don't think it will go over so well if I
mark off the entire school fenceline with these signs.

thanks, Matt
--
Matt Gordon
Habitat Environmental Education Liaison Program (HEELP)