tent caterpillars

Regarding tent caterpillars, if you know what the egg mass looks like, they
are easily seen and peeled off the bark of the tree  - assuming it is of a
size that this can be easily accomplished (a shiny dark gray mass about the
size of a quarter - round or elongated).  I removed about 20 eggs masses
from a neighbor's ornamental weeping cherry years ago when I happened to
notice one while standing next to the tree.  I don't believe the
caterpillars do lasting harm to trees but young fruit trees could easily be
checked in years when the caterpillars are in their peak cycles.

Patti Gotz
Roosevelt Neighborhood
Seattle