Strategies for finding resources to insects on the internet

I am wondering if there are strategies to finding internet insect resources.
I spent the better part of this afternoon trying to figure out what spp of
Sphecidae I had under my microscope. It seems to be of the subfamily
Sphecinae, a thread-waisted wasp, but I did not find any pictures of my
critter, nor any good databases like the ones Allyn found for his moth. Any
ideas? I tend to just use google but maybe there are some search terms or
strategies I am not aware of.

Also, I am looking for a checklist of common insects of the Pacific
Northwest if anybody knows of such a thing pass it my way. (ideally a
checklist of Snohomish County insects, but I will probably have to create
that resource myself, in about 10 years or so)

Rob Sandelin
South Snohomish County at the headwaters of Ricci Creek
Sky Valley Environments  <http://www.nonprofitpages.com/nica/SVE.htm>
Field skills training for student naturalists
Floriferous@msn.com