Re: Meal worms

At 09:21 PM 3/12/03 -0800, Rob wrote:

 None of them made it to maturity so I have no idea
>if they were moth, beetle or some other larvae.

Lepidopteran larvae are usually distinctive: they have 6 ocelli on each
side of the head, 3 pairs of thoracic legs and usually 5 pairs of prolegs
on abdominal segments 3-6 and 10. The prolegs are fleshier and stumpier
than the thoracic legs, with a number of tiny hooks called crochets. Sawfly
larvae also have larval prolegs (more than 5 pair), but I do not believe
they are common in other insect orders.

Paul Talbert
Hillman City, Seattle
tuisto@oz.net