It is true that they are not exactly fun to raise. I have raised many, many batches of them in my life of keeping lizards, etc. Putting them in oatmeal, in a coffee can or better yet, a largish plastic container with approximately 1/4 inch holes punched in the lid keeps things sanitary. Monitor the apple or potato which supplies their moisture and remove the veggy/fruit when it becomes withered. If it is getting moldy then things are entirely too moist. Make more holes or set the can in a less humid place. They don't actually smell unless the cereal gets moldy. Occasionally the beetles get out, but I have never had them get into anything else. Arlene M. Arlene Mikelsons <firstname.lastname@example.org>
For more information about pnw-natives, or to manage your subscription, please see the list instructions.