Meal worms

Interesting. I bet what are called: "meal worms" are probably 4-5 or more
different kinds of larvae. The ones I got from the magazine were tiny
little, almost microscopic things which, after about a month or so had grown
into fat grubs maybe an inch long or so. I recall they had milky white
bodies and black heads. None of them made it to maturity so I have no idea
if they were moth, beetle or some other larvae. I also recall they grew at
differential rates, and so while some got big fast, others seemed to take a
longer time, and the whole batch lasted most of the summer. I would poke
around in the container to see if any were big enough to grab with tweezers,
and there always seemed to be 4-5 every couple of days. I ordered a second
batch at the end of summer and nothing was in it and after three months it
was still barren. I was outraged at being gypped out of my $3 plus postage
and handling but put off writing a letter of complaint because school has
started. Which was a good thing, because one day I checked the container and
it was full of wigglers as I called them. This batch grew and matured all at
once. I gave most of them to my teacher for his gecko, since I had let most
my snakes and lizards go because of lack of food and being burnt out
catching bugs for them. I suppose this was my first real connection with bug
hunting, looking for stuff my local captured reptiles would eat.

Rob Sandelin
Sky Valley Environments  <http://www.nonprofitpages.com/nica/SVE.htm>
Field skills training for student naturalists
Floriferous@msn.com