Who are those moths?

The nesting box in my hens' house has a hinged, slanted roof which I
raise to gather eggs. Every year towards the end of summer I begin to
see moths 'sleeping' on the underside of the roof. By the time winter
arrives there are usually about 25of them, apparently settled down to
hibernate.

They are various shades of beige, creme, buckskin, fawn, etc., about
the size of a quarter (+/-), and they 'sleep', their wings spread
wide and flattened, wingtip to wingtip, in pretty kaleidoscopic
patterns. If I rouse one with a finger tip it will flutter
(sleepily?) a few wing strokes, and settle back down.

So, who are these guys? And what phase of life are they in? Will they
make it through the coming summer, or are they just waiting for
warmer weather to reproduce and die? Inquiring minds want to know.

irene, outside of eatonville where the mason bee holes I drilled in
the cedar fence posts last summer are still tightly sealed against
the elements...

irene bensinger
Fibers on the Internet
http://trilliumwoods.com/